Kicking off 2020, XR Chippenham welcomes plenty of new faces. We’ve held 2 busy socials, a packed Heading for Extinction talk and a stall on the bridge. That’s just the beginning…
(** MUST DO ACTIONS IF POSSIBLE ) **
Demand action from Wiltshire County Council – 25 February
Wiltshire XR groups and other concerned parties, will join in an action at Trowbridge County Hall to mark the one-year anniversary of WCC declaring a climate emergency, but to date taking virtually NO ACTION. During the last Cabinet meeting, WCC confirmed their strategy to spend £200m on new roads and to facilitate planning for 40,000 new houses to be built over Wiltshire woodland and countryside, and yet they plan to spend £0 … i.e. not a single penny … on insulating or upgrading existing housing stock. Details of the action are being finalised over the next couple of days, so keep an eye on Facebook or our website for updates, but please save the date, plan how you will get there and ask other non-XR groups you’re a member of, to take part. If you would like to feed into the planning of this action, please contact email@example.com.
XR Chippenham attends Chippenham Area Board – Monday 3 February, 6pm
XR Chippenham meets socially in Grounded on the first and third Monday of each month. HOWEVER! On 3rd February members and any other interested people are asked instead to attend the Chippenham Area Board meeting at Sheldon School from 6pm.
At this meeting members of the group will be presenting information at a stand.
IF YOU CAN ARRIVE EARLY: from 6pm and during the exhibition we will need XR people to talk with other attendees about XR, our 3 demands and the work we are doing, much like the action we have been doing on the bridge. We also need to speak to as many councillors as possible to talk about our demands and work we are doing. We need to persuade them to take on a more proactive role in the council, and tell the truth!
AND FROM 7PM: there will be an environmental workshop. We need people to join each table group, so, during discussion, XR’s 3 demands are included and considered. The outcomes from the workshop will be then passed to Wiltshire County Council.
TO HAVE A GREAT TURNOUT AT THE MEETING WOULD BE AMAZING. It will send the message that we are committed and serious about this, and we have a large group within the town. Seeing how much support we have should get councillors to take more notice of us.
OPPORTUNITIES TO SUPPORT XR CHIPPENHAM
- People’s Assemblies: are you interested in working in a small team to develop People’s Assembliesto support XR Chippenham’s decision making? If you have a flair for facilitating groups and care about democracy, please contact Karin.
- The Hourglass: issue 4 of the XR’s newspaper has landed. Copies will be available at XR Chippenham socials. Please take as many as you can to share with family, colleagues, neighbours and leave at pubs, cafes, transport hubs, doctors, dentists etc.
- Regenerative Culture: it would be great to grow our capacity in developing a regenerative culture (i.e. taking care of ourselves and each other). If you have skills, ideas, or time to share please contact Jenny. There are many ways your input can be helpful, through occasional conversations, helping to organise a specific event, or becoming a more regular member of the regenerative and wellbeing working group.
- Lobbying Group: the lobbying group welcomes sign ups on the rota to send brief but powerful emails to Wiltshire politicians. (If you’re not on Basecamp, please email the lobby group).
- Barclays Bank action: various XR Wiltshire groups are planning a day of action to draw attention to Barclays investments in fossil fuels. If you wish to join in the planning of the action, or on the day, please contact James.
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS…
XR Chippenham Socials
Our socials/meetings continue on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month from 7-9pm in Grounded (upstairs). All dates are advertised on our Facebook page and on our website. If you are new to XR and wish to find out a little more, please do come along – there will be a warm welcome.
Wellbeing Walk – Sunday 2 February, 10.30am
On the first Sunday of each month we meet for a walk, starting from the bridge at the bottom of the High Street. These walks are lovely and relaxed, with plenty of time to chat and see some new parts of Chippenham. We finish at 12.30 at Grounded for lunch for those who want to stay. Family and friends are very welcome.
Avon Needs Trees Talk (with Nikki Jones) – Monday 10 February, 7pm
Avon Needs Trees is a registered charity based in Bristol that is buying land in the Bristol-Avon Catchment Area for reforesting. Planting trees will sequester carbon from the air, enhance bio-diversity and give us natural flood management, as well as water and air quality improvement, and more public amenity space. Details of the talk are on Facebook and our website, please share far and wide!
Art Workshops – Monday 24 February, 7pm
XR Chippenham Art Workshops are back in the barn at the Old Road Tavern. We have a new project to make a Tree of Life which can be used to hang pledges, messages, wishes, protests, you name it. The idea is that it will attract attention at events and be a way the public can engage. EVERYONE WELCOME please bring any old brightly covered fabric, it can have patterns, but not be heavy – no curtain or denim weight. Also old wire if you have it.
Rebel for life,